Study Leave for An Overseas Course / Conference Guidance
International courses or conferences will only be considered in very exceptional circumstances and should be approved PRIOR to booking by the Postgraduate Dean or his/her Deanery delegated person. Any costs incurred by the trainee without having approval will be borne by the trainee if the request is declined.
- Make sure any study leave is compatible with your agreed personalised development plan and approval sought PRIOR to attending the event
- Complete the Request for Study Leave for an Overseas Course/Conference Form at least 8 weeks before the event
- Forward the Form to the Deanery generic SEVStudyLeave.SW@hee.nhs.uk or PENStudyLeave.SW@hee.nhs.uk with a subject heading Overseas REQUEST for Study Leave
- The Deanery will aim to respond within 48 hours (2 working days) of your request
- If your application is approved, you will be issued with a reference number
- If approved, please request study leave time through your Trust in the normal way. They may seek evidence of approval from the Deanery – it is your responsibility to check what is required from your Trust
- If approved book your course/activity and pay if required. Please claim via your employing NHS Trust, quoting the reference number that was provided on your approved application. You will be required to provide receipts.
- After the event please ensure copies of receipts are submitted to the Deanery generic email address SEVStudyLeave.SW@hee.nhs.uk or PENStudyLeave.SW@hee.nhs.uk with a subject heading Overseas Claim. Please include the application reference number in all communications.
- All receipts should have a registered VAT number.
- A copy of the booking form for flights including costs will be accepted; a receipt from the hotel will be accepted with an itemised account on expenditure; personal credit card receipts of payment will not be accepted.
- All claims must be submitted within 3 months of having attended the educational event. We will be unable to reimburse the Trust for any claims after this timeframe in accordance with our financial instructions.