Working or Training Abroad as a Doctor

Many doctors consider taking time out of training to broaden their clinical and personal experience. UK-trained doctors are usually in demand in other countries, and many doctors will consider overseas work at some point during their medical career.
It is proving more difficult to find employment in Australia and New Zealand as a junior doctor and forward planning many months in advance is necessary.

There are a number of issues to consider when contemplating working abroad and these are outlined in the following document. Please continue to keep up to date with requirements as these can change frequently.

When to work overseas

As a student:

  • Most, but not all, doctors first experience working abroad during the final year of medical school while on their elective.
  • If you are considering working abroad later on in your medical career it is a good opportunity to use your elective to experience working life in another country.

During Foundation:

  • You would need exceptional reasons as to why you cannot complete F1 in the UK. Any application would need to be approved by your medical school in conjunction with your allocated Foundation School. Please see the UKFPO Reference Guide (2018).
  • It is possible to complete F2 abroad however hardly any Foundation Schools allow this. The Peninsula Foundation School do not offer F2 abroad.
  • To find out if it is possible visit the individual school's website.
  • If you go abroad for F2 we suggest that you progress your full GMC Registration before you go. It can save money BUT

If any incidents occur whilst abroad the GMC may not reinstate your name on the register until a full investigation has taken place
In addition, you may not be able to use the services of the MDU/MPS whilst not on the GMC register

Some feedback from previous trainees who have completed F2 abroad can be found on the Peninsula Foundation School website.

Other options:

  • You could take time out of the Foundation Programme which is usually 12 months.

If this option was approved you would be guaranteed a place back in the Foundation School to complete your F2 when you return.

This would give you more flexibility in terms of what work you do and when you do it, for example, you might combine with travel and you don’t have to meet the criteria of an F2 approved post
More information on time out during Foundation is contained within the UKFPO Reference Guide (2012)
Different Foundation Schools will have different policies in place so please refer to local policies before making any plans

  • Time out and work abroad after F2 gives you more flexibility in terms of what work you do and when you do it, as mentioned above

    Remember that some specialties will not let you apply at ST1/CT1 if you have 18 months experience in that specialty post-foundation. Check the relevant ST1/CT1 person specification carefully.

    Build in time to attend interview back in the UK. Also see (1) below.

For more information please see the Foundation School website.

After Foundation:

  1. If planning to work abroad after Foundation Year 2, and applying for specialty training the following year; it is vitally important that travel back to the UK for Specialty and GP interviews are factored into your plans. The interview window for recruitment normally runs from January to mid-February.
  2. If you are considering applying for General Practice and lived abroad in the last five years for longer than three months, a Foreign Police Check is required. 

During specialty:

Postgraduate Doctors in training may also seek to take time out of their specialty training programme. There are four different categories for time out of programme:

  • OOPT – Time out of programme for approved clinical training
  • OOPE –Time out of programme for clinical experience
  • OOPR – Time out of programme for research
  • OOPC – Time out of programme for career break

The Out of Programme Policy  need to insert link when available 

How to use the time:

It is important to use the time working overseas wisely; this could incorporate both paid employment and voluntary work. If the time is used well it will give you enhanced clinical skills and experience which can help you stand out at interview.

Returning to the UK

Planning your experience abroad:

  • Research the medical system in the country you plan to visit. UK training grades may not have the same equivalence in other countries.
  • Separate Indemnity Insurance will need to be obtained if you wish to work overseas.
  • It is important to consider protecting your pension during your time spent working overseas.
  • Don’t forget to retain your name on the GMC Register

Information about working overseas in English speaking countries


Doctor Connect - Work as a doctor in Australia (Government website)

Australian Medical Council

Australian Rural Health Education Network

Australian Government Dept. of Immigration and Citizenship

Northern Territory Government

There is no nationally regulated system for applications to work in the medical system in Australia. You must apply to all of the following:

  • State or Territory Health Department for a job
  • State or Medical Territory Medical Board for registration
  • Department of Immigration for a visa
  • Medicare Australia for a Medicare Provider Number

International Medical Recruitment

New Zealand

New Zealand is similar to Australia but does not have different states or a territory, once you are registered to practice this applies to the whole country, however, there may be restrictions depending on your work permit/immigration status.

Medical Council of New Zealand

The Medical Council registers doctors in New Zealand and carries responsibilities in the areas of standards, conduct and competence.

If you would like to register to practice in NZ you can use the online self-assessment tool to check your eligibility.
You must also go through the New Zealand Immigration process for a visa/work permit etc.



Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) - Assess whether International Medical Graduates are ready to enter programs of graduate medical education in the United States’ you must have this certification.

Fact sheet - USA


The process for applying to train/work in Canada is a similar challenge to that of the USA. However, each province has different rules and regulations and you will need to check what is required, once you have decided in which area you would like to work.

Canadian Information Centre for International Medical Graduates

This tool helps identify your occupation as well as labour market information

Federation of Medical Regulatory Authorities of Canada

Medical Council of Canada

Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

Ontario Immigration

Useful links

Voluntary and other organisations

Medicins Sans Frontieres

Projects Abroad

Mercy ships

Expedition & Wilderness Medicine

British Antarctic Survey Medical Unit


Medics Travel

The following are useful recent articles relating to working abroad

BMA article on working abroad

Medical Success, alternative careers paths for doctors’ advice on working overseas

Antarctic medicine – article on the challenges of being a doctor in an isolated and confined environment