Trainee Guide to Travel and Subsistence Expense Claims As Part of Approved Study Leave


This page contains information for doctors in post-graduate training posts regarding their entitlement to claim back their travel and/or subsistence expenditure incurred whilst participating in an approved study leave event. Study Leave expenses that may be claimed for includes travel costs, course fees, hotels and subsistence.


Please read these notes carefully before booking travel or accommodation:

• Original receipts should accompany every claim form to verify the authenticity of all expenditure detailed upon it. Claims should be submitted within six weeks of the event taking place and absolutely no later than three months in accordance with financial regulations

• HEE South West expects travel to be on the date the event is scheduled where it is commutable (for example, if the venue is less than 100 miles ‘door to door’)


How can I claim any travel and subsistence expenses?

Trainees are encouraged to use the most economical mode of transport. Where this is not possible prior approval must be obtained from the Educational Supervisor or Director of Medical Education (DME).

All travel and subsistence claims must be accompanied by dated receipts and are reimbursed in line with the employers terms and conditions. Please note travel costs outside of the UK will not be reimbursed


You must use the most cost effective transport means possible. HEE South West reserves the right to only reimburse the cost of the cheapest fare.

By Car:

If claiming mileage expenses you must have a valid MOT certificate, relevant road tax and insurance which includes cover for incidental business mileage. All of these documents are a requirement under the Corporate Manslaughter Act 2007 and it is your responsibility to ensure that these are in place before embarking on any travel for study leave using your private vehicle. At rhe date of publishing this information trainees are entitled to claim 28p per mile

By Rail:

Supersavers and standard class rail fares only. The most cost effective fare must be sought. If possible, doctors should purchase tickets in advance to ensure this. Receipts for rail travel must include the date of travel and the start and finish locations.

By Taxi:

Expenses will be reimbursed for short journeys only such as from the nearest train station to the venue where public transport is not practical, e.g. time of day. A receipt will be required.

By Air:

Payment for travel by air must not exceed the total cost of travelling by public transport. HEE South West will not pay for travel by air outside of the United Kingdom.


Process Chart


Overseas Events

Trainees should request approval via their trust by submitting their Study Leave application (by the agreed application process at the employing NHS trust) in advance of the requirement to travel. The trust will seek approval from HEE. All international study leave claims are considered by the Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education Dean


Overnight accommodation

• Requests for reimbursement of overnight accommodation costs will only be granted where it is not reasonable to travel on the day of the event (for example, the distance to the event is greater than 100 miles ‘door to door’).

• Accommodation costs to be covered by HEE South West will be limited to the duration of the event plus one night, either before or after the event dates.

• Overnight costs will be reimbursed up to a maximum limit of £120 (outside of London) and £150 (in London) (bed and breakfast).



• For study leave confined to a single day, refreshments and meals are normally included in the event fee. However if lunch is not provided there is a meal allowance of up to £5, in one claimed receipt, e.g. meal deal, providing more than 5 hours are spent away from principal place of work, including between 12.00 noon to 2.00 pm

• In the case of a residential event there is an evening meal allowance of £15.00 per day, providing more than 10 hours is spent away from principal place of work

• No payment will be made for alcoholic beverages under any circumstances.

Receipts must be provided for all expenses otherwise your claim may not be processed. Receipts and certificate of attendance for the study leave activity should be attached individually to the expenses claim form used by your employing organisation.

Doctors are advised to keep a copy of the form and receipts they submit in case of problem or a query with payment.


Please note that expense claims should be submitted within 6 weeks and no later than 3 months of the training event