• Is SAS funding in addition to the normal study leave budget?

    SAS funding was made available by the Department of Health to be used for the development of SAS doctors.  This funding is to be used on top of the Trusts' study leave budget and not instead of it.  All SAS doctors should have access to the Trusts’ study leave budgets as per policies laid out by the DMEs of individual Trusts.




  • What is my share of the SAS funding?

    There is no set amount that Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education has marked.  The budget that Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education receives is allocated to the Trusts depending on the number of SAS doctors in each Trust.  Although we encourage all SAS doctors to avail of this facility and all applications will be considered, historically not everyone has done so.  Therefore, the amount varies but the rough idea is that on an average there should be £400-500 /doctor/year. 




  • Do I have to take study leave for the courses that are paid through the SAS funding?

    That depends on your local agreement with your department and the Trust, but generally speaking it does require study leave. The Trusts have an agreement with the doctors to give them study leave and it should be easily approved, especially when it is being funded through the SAS budget. 




  • Can I attend courses anywhere in the Peninsula region?

    There are courses that are organised by various SAS Tutors and the policy of Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education is that any SAS doctor can apply for these courses irrespective of where they are being organised within the area of the South West Peninsula.  A list of all the study education days is available and contact information to register your attendance for each course is indicated.  Once you have done that the funding will be transferred from your SAS Tutor to the relevant Trust.




  • Can I contact the Associate Dean for SAS doctors for any personal/ individual problem regarding my career?

    Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education would endeavour to accommodate all such requests.  Although your SAS Tutor should be your first point of contact for this however, please feel free to contact the Associate Dean for SAS Doctors by clicking on this email link:

    Imran Saif (Associate Postgraduate Dean)

    Sarah Roberts (Faculty & Professional Support Unit Administrator)

    Telephone:  01752 676133 




  • Will Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education support my application for entry onto the Specialist Register?

    Our Certificate of Eligibility to the Specialist Register webpage provides information about CESR and links to further information.  

    It also gives you names of doctors who are experienced with the CESR application and willing to help you with that.  

    In the first instance, we recommend that you get in touch with one of the consultants in your specialty to get specialty-specific advice.  Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education will facilitate and arrange for general advice on the application for you. 




  • Can the SAS funding be used to pay for application fees for CESR?

    Whereas Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education is willing to guide and support you with the application, unfortunately funding cannot be used for this purpose.  




  • Is there a local Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education policy on the use of SAS funding?

  • Can locum doctors use the SAS funding?

    Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education appreciates that all doctors irrespective of appointment tenure need to keep up to date with their CPD.  However, the SAS funding was allocated and meant to be used by Staff Grades, Associate Specialists and Specialty Doctors who are in a substantive post. 




  • I am a Trust Grade doctor – can I have SAS funding?

    At present all the SAS Tutors in the South West region have agreed that this funding is for the Staff Grade doctors, Associate Specialists and Specialty doctors only.  We will post any update on this website if this policy changes in the future. 




  • Who is my SAS Tutor/ Lead and how can I contact them?

    Our Welcome page lists the names of all the SAS Tutors and you can contact them by clicking on the relevant email address.




  • Can Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education provide support/ help with job planning?

    Matters regarding job planning are not under the remit of Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education.  However, there is information on the SAS Work Diary web page offering advice on job planning, a link to the BMA work diary and advice on working on-call for SAS doctors.  The SAS Tutors are also available to provide help and support with job planning.




  • I am experiencing difficulties in having my study leave approved. Can Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education help me with this?

    Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education strongly encourages that all SAS doctors should avail their allocated study leave.  If you have a problem with this please inform your SAS Tutor, who should be able to discuss this matter with the DME of the Trust.  You should be given a fair chance of updating your CPD by availing study leave.  If the situation remains unresolved please contact Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education and we will endeavour to help you with this matter.




  • My post is located closer to Taunton than Plymouth and the border with Postgraduate Medical Education Centres are offering similar courses. Is it possible to attend these?

    You would need to apply for funding for any course outside of Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education funded courses in the normal way through your SAS Tutor.  Links available here for Severn Postgraduate Medical Education and Wessex Postgraduate Medical Education.