Unconscious Bias for Supervisors
Category: Educational/Clinical Supervisors - Established Trainers Courses
Date: November 23rd 2023 1:30pm until 4:00pm
Course ID: SW593
Evolutionary psychologists report that we have learned to make up our minds, in a split-second, about whether we are encountering friend or foe and are hard-wired to be suspicious of those different from ourselves. This undermines confidence and may result in poor performance, disengagement and conflict. This course will help participants to manage their biases and develop skills for overcoming them.
KEY COURSE ELEMENTS
Raising awareness of unconscious bias
- Recognise that we all have biases and where they come from
- Types of unconscious bias and how they impact the work environment
The impact of unconscious bias
- How unconscious bias manifests
- Risks to the individual, the team and the Company
- The risks and costs of unconscious bias
Overcoming unconscious bias
- Identifying personal biases
- Seeking feedback to raise awareness
- Steps to check and modify actions and behaviours
PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ABLE TO
- Understand where unconscious bias stems from and the difference between bias, stereotyping and discrimination
- Recognise the numerous formats in which unconscious biases exist
- Understand the consequences to individuals and teams when unconscious biases influence behaviour
- Identify personal unconscious biases and how they may contrast with conscious views
- Adopt techniques for overcoming and challenging unconscious bias in order to be more inclusive
Booking for these courses will be through MaxCourse, our online booking system.
Information about how to use MaxCourse can be found on our website.
Please email FacultyDevelopment.SW@hee.nhs.uk with any questions, before and on the day.